These bite sized vegetarian rolls are a blissful alternative to regular sausage rolls. Soft and crumbly at the same time with the vibrancy of the orange root vegetables that are good enough to brighten up your day.
Bursting with flavour and packed full of fibre, healthy fats and nutrients, these vegetarian rolls support:
* Eye health
* Immune system
* Gut health
* Skin and muscle integrity
* Mental health.
With all these health benefits it is no wonder that these vegetarian rolls are a staple in my weekly meal plan but I just could not keep them a secret.
These are easy to prepare and are a wonderful way to involve children in cooking in a fun-filled approach to healthy eating.
(Makes 30 bite sized rolls)
• 1 sweet potato
• 1 butternut squash/ Pumpkin
• 3 tbsp pumpkin/sunflower seeds (optional)
• 1 tin chickpeas
• 1 tbsp tomato puree
• 1-2 tsp garam masala
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 2 cloves garlic
• Handful fresh coriander
• 1 sweet red apple, grated
• Zest of ½ lime grated
• 1 tbsp psyllium husk or flour
• 2 eggs (1 for the filling and 1 for basting)
• Sea salt and Black pepper
• 2-3 rolls puff pastry
• 1 tsp sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
2. Peel the pumpkin/sunflower seeds, sweetpotato and butternut squash. Cut into small cubes and drizzle with a bit of oil, salt and pepper and mix until everything is fully coated. Place into the oven and roast for approx 20 minutes until softened.
3. Take the puff pastry out the fridge and leave to rest until you are ready to use it.
4. After 20 minutes take the pumpkin/sunflower seeds, sweet potato and butternut squash from the oven and put aside to cool.
5. Place the pumpkin/sunflower seeds, sweet potato, chickpeas, tomato puree, garam masala, cumin, garlic, lime zest, grated apple, psyllium husk/flour and egg in a bowl. Mix with the back of a fork or a hand processor untilsmooth. Leave a few lumps for texture if you prefer.
6. Finely chop the coriander and add into the chickpea mixture. Add salt and pepper to season and stir well to combine all the ingredients.
7. Place the puff pastry sheet on a floured surface or chopping board. Cut it down the middle into 2 pieces and then cut into smaller, equally sized rectangles
.8. Divide the chickpea mixture between each puff pastry and shape into a sausage shape down the centre of each pastry.
9. Gently roll the pastry over the chickpea fillingand seal by pressing the seam with a fork.
10. Place them onto a lined baking sheet.
11. Whisk one egg and brush each sausage roll. Sprinkle with some sesame seeds.
12. Place in the oven for 25 minutes until cooked and golden brown.
13. Serve straight away or eat cold. You can also reheat them for about 15 minutes at 150C/300F.
Do not be afraid to experiment with this recipe and this is easily done to make these perfect for your own taste by..
.• Substituting the apple for a pear.
• Adding in your own mixture of spices and herbs.
• Adding in other ingredients like spinach, feta cheese, Dijon mustard or even finely diced mushrooms.
If you have some mixture left over, simply…
• Add some flour and roll into balls to make some scrumptious Falafels that you can bake in the oven.
• Add a little extra flour and make into a patty shape and bake in the oven. Serve on a bun and layer with rocket leaves, tomatoes, red onion and goats cheese for the perfectly messy, veggie burger.
Enjoy these delicious rolls with your family and your feedback is most welcome!