This homemade Cerelac/health mix powder is the BEST weight gaining food for babies. It can be introduced at around 8 months when the baby has already digested dal, rice, fruits & vegetables. This mix is also very good for pregnant and lactating women.
Make sure to consult your doctor before including nuts in this recipe. Although it is safe to introduce nuts after 9 months, it is still best to consult with your paediatrician first.
To prepare the porridge, add 1 tsp with enough water to make the desired consistency preferred by your baby. Gradually increase the serving based on how well the baby digests it.
- Green gram dal- 1/4 cup
- Moong dal- 1/4 cup
- Black urad dal- 1/4 cup
- Red rice or white rice- 1/2 cup
- Broken wheat/cracked wheat- 1/4 cup
- Barley- 2 tbsp
- Sago- 2
- Horse gram- 2 tbsp
- Fried gram dal- 1/4 cup
- Almonds- 1/4 cup
- Cashews- 1/4 cup
- Cardamom- 4 nos
- Dry ginger- 1/2 inch piece or 1/2 tsp of dry ginger powder
- Measure all dals and rinse separately. Sun dry them for an hour.
- Measure all pulses, rinse them separately and sun dry for an hour.
- Measure almonds, cashews, cardamom and fried gram dal using a measuring cup and keep it ready along with dry ginger.
- Heat a pan and dry roast urad dal and green gram together until brown for about 5 minutes. Let it cool.
- Now add moong dal and dry roast it to golden brown for about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let it cool in a wide plate.
- Add broken wheat and dry roast it to a golden brown for 4-5 minutes. Keep it aside to cool. Add fried gram dal and dry roast for about 3 minutes. Keep it aside to cool.
- Dry roast the almonds and cashews until you get a nice aroma. It may take about 5 minutes. Let it cool down.
- Blend everything together to make a fine powder.
- Sieve the powder. You can try to blend the coarse powder again instead of discarding it.
- Cool down completely and store in a sterilised and dried, airtight container.
- Always check with your paediatrician before introducing any new food.
- Make sure you cool down everything properly otherwise it will let out moisture.
- Dry ginger aids digestion. You can skip it completely if your baby does not like the flavour.
- This mix stays well outside a refrigerator for 3 months.
Leave a Reply